Saturday, November 14, 2015

Chicken, Cheddar and Kale Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes


Hiiii, internet!!

Sorry I have been away...for SO long...more than two months with no new recipes! I can't believe it.


Actually, I can! Because during this time away, I was barely keeping my sanity as I was planning a wedding, getting married, and whisking away to Iceland for a honeymoon! November 1, 2015 was the day I married my best friend and became Mrs. Beaudoin. Everything was perfect and magical (sorry to be cliche); nearly two years of planning really paid off!

Of course, now I am in what many people told me would be a post-wedding depression and in an effort to occupy my now-free time, I am 100% ready to start cooking again!


Fall is my favorite time of year for cooking and eating (and drinking pumpkin spice lattes!) I whipped these tasty Chicken, Cheddar, and Kale Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes for a quick lunch this week and I think you're going to love them.


Twice-baked potatoes are especially fun because of how customizable every recipe is. You can easily make these with regular potatoes, or ground turkey, or spinach. They are a perfect light lunch, and they also would make a tasty dinner when paired with a crunchy salad and warm dinner rolls. 


Since sweet potatoes are inherently, well, SWEET, I wanted to pump up the spicy and savory components of the filling. Kale is so loved right now and I love how this sturdy leafy green stands up to the richness of the sweet potato. Plus, any edges of kale get crisped up for a much needed crunch. Chopped green peppers pump up the crunch and give a great freshness to the dish. Cheddar makes everything better, and I used an extra sharp variety for extra flavor. Leftover rotisserie chicken is the perfect protein for the potatoes. Also be sure not to skimp on the black pepper, crushed red pepper and chili powder - flavor explosion! 

Here's what you need for Chicken, Cheddar and Kale Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes* (Print Recipe!)

2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup rotisserie chicken, chopped finely
1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
3-4 leaves kale, chopped fine
1/2 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
Splash of milk of your choice
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and chili powder to taste

Here's what you do

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes all around with a fork and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until tender. Unwrap foil and allow sweet potatoes to cool for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. 

Using a sharp knife, carefully carve out the middle of the potato, leaving about 1/4 inch of flesh around the skin. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the middle of the potato and place in a small mixing bowl. Mix together the potato flesh with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.

Spoon the filling into the potato skins and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle extra cheddar cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Enjoy at once!




*Gas Stove Girl original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment