Monday, January 14, 2013

Crispy Parmesan Herb Potato Halves

I fell into the world of Pinterest a few months ago. Obviously, I'm totally hooked now. Damn you, Pinterest. Why are you so addicting?!


Shameless plug, but you can follow me on Pinterest here! I have a board specially made for Gas Stove Girl posts.


One joy of Pinterest is the wealth of recipe inspirations that are flooding the internet that I may have otherwise never had access to. Truth be told, I think I've only made one thing from Pinterest since I got sucked in joined, but hey. It's all about planting the seeds.


I'm always excited to find new ways to round out a meal that moves beyond brown rice, quinoa, or mashed potatoes (I'm talking about carbs). When I saw this recipe for crispy potato halves, I couldn't wait to try it! And it's so simple!

Cut 6 small potatoes in half...done.


Melt 1/2 stick of unsalted butter...check.


Spread the butter on the bottom of a baking dish and sprinkle pecorino romano on top.


Then add a blend of your favorite seasonings. I did salt, cracked black pepper, basil, and oregano.

Lay the potatoes, cut side down in the seasoned butter. Then all you do is bake!


In the meantime, I prepared breaded pork chops and steamed green beans. How adult was that!? I think mama would be proud of this well-rounded dish.


I'm trying to think of the right words to describe these potatoes. They are crispy on the bottom, yet soft and tender throughout. The flavor of the butter bakes right into the meat of the potato, keeping them moist throughout the cooking process. The nuttiness of the parmesan and the lightness of the herbs take a basic potato to the next level. So simple and delicious - you're going to want to try these!

Potatoes are outrageously good served hot out of the oven alongside your favorite protein and veggie, but they can also make a lovely breakfast when paired with an overeasy egg.

Here's what you need for Crispy Parmesan Herb Potato Halves:

6 small potatoes (I used white potatoes), halved
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon each dried oregano and dried basil
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Here's what you do:

Lightly grease a 9 x13 baking dish with cooking spray (I used trusty Pam).

Spread the melted butter on the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer.

Top the butter evenly with the cheese, as well as all of the herbs and seasonings.

Place the potatoes cut side down in the baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender (that is, sticking a fork through them yields very little resistance).

Allow to cool slightly before serving.



This recipe is very versatile. Feel free to change up the herbs and spices to suit what's in your pantry. I also enjoyed a dollop of low-fat sour cream and chives on top.


Adapted from Favorite Family Recipes blog

No comments:

Post a Comment