Friday, December 7, 2012

Mini Fried Pickles

I don't know if it was Snooki's influence on the Jersey Shore or if my palette has just become more advanced in my twenties, but all of a sudden I LOVE pickles. A delicious BLT is not complete without a dill pickle or two.

I actually find sweet pickles to be slightly repulsive, but dill dickles. Oh lawd, can't get enough!

On a whim while in the grocery store a few weeks ago I bought a jar of Gherkins. These are cute baby pickles that I thought would be easy to take for lunch alongside sandwiches and the like. I always disappoint myself. I never brought these pickles with my lunch. I would just eat some here and there while I waited for dinner to cook or couldn't decide what to have for a snack.

I realized that someone out in the greater food world really loves me; I know this, because that person invented fried pickles. I love you, Mr. or Mrs. Fried Pickle Inventor. I really, really do.


Because of my love for all things miniature, I thought it would be extra adorable to have Fried Gherkins. And I felt today was as good as any to put that vision into action.

I whisked together all-purpose flour with a beaten egg and some beer. I drank the rest of the beer (you should also do this when you decide to make this yummy snack). Once this mixture resembles a batter, season with salt and pepper.

Next, it's time for the Gherkins to go for a swim in the batter. Be sure that the pickles are drained well beforehand!


Vegetable oil on the stove.


"I'm melting!!"

"Oh no wait...I have just become a crispy and delicious treat!"


Dip them in a mixture of sour cream, chili powder, and green onions. Chow down!


Here's what you need for Mini Fried Pickles:

1 jar Gherkins, drained well
1 egg
3/4 cup beer (I used Sam Adams Boston Lager)
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for frying (enough to come half way up a deep frying pan or medium sauce pan)

For the dip:

1 cup sour cream
2  tablespoons chili powder (or Mexican Blend)
2 green onions, chopped fine (white and light green parts)

Here's what you do:

Whisk together the egg and beer until well combined.
Whisk in the flour until fully incorporated. If the batter seems a little loose, add in more flour a few tablespoons at a time.
Season with salt and pepper.
Drop in the Gherkins and stir until all the pickles are completed coated.
Heat up your oil over medium heat. When a few drops of water immediately sizzle when splashed on top, the oil is ready).
Add the Gherkins in batches. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, flipping the pickles half way through. Remove using a search and rescue spoon and drain onto a paper towel lined plate.
Serve immediately with dipping sauce.

To make the sauce, stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended. These would also be delicious dipped in a simple store bought ranch dressing.

Oh, by the way, if you want less pickle and more fried goodness, you can totally use this same batter on pickle chips. Just be sure to give them some extra time to strain out that pickle juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment