Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dark Chocolate and Walnut Pumpkin Cookies

I want to talk about cookies. I think now is as good a time as ever to have such a talk.

Cookies are so necessary. Always. That’s really all I have to say on the matter.


Ok, well really, there is more. I’m completely guilty of loving Oreos way more than a person should, particularly the double-stuffed peanut butter variety. I’m also guilty of feeling immense joy during Girl Scout cookie season. 18 boxes of thin mints, 20 boxes of samoas, and a tag along or 12 while you’re at it. I love a good store bought cookie. Who doesn’t?!

I also have a fear of baking. See my post on pink lemonade cupcakes for more on why…


I love, however, an easy recipe that takes some of that immense stress off of the baker (namely, me) and still yields a delicious sweet treat.

Enter boxed cake mixes (have all the real bakers of the world given up hope on me?!). These things are a good place to start for the not-so-advanced, burn savvy baker (again…me). Doctor them up a bit and, as long as you make your sweet treat with love, I don’t think anyone will object.


Fall flavors are in full swing – I can tell, because a LOT more people are walking around with Starbucks cups. I KNOW you have a pumpkin spice latte in there. I know this because I do, too. No reason to be ashamed. Pumpkin is delicious. So I wanted to make something with pumpkin.

The secret is definitely out on how to make an easy yet delicious pumpkin cookie.


I’m going to add dark chocolate chunks and walnuts to mine. That brings the total number of ingredients to 5.

Fearful bakers of the world: let’s do this thing!
Here’s what you need for Dark Chocolate and Walnut Pumpkin Cookies (Print Recipe!)

1 box spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
¾ cup chopped walnuts
 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I love cinnamon. You can easily leave this out)

Here’s what you do

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (no mess clean up and no sticks!)

Beat together the cake mix, cinnamon and the pumpkin until smooth. Gently fold in the chocolate and nuts.

Using a tablespoon, scoop a heaping spoonful of your mixture onto the baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges or golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying (this is a real test of your self control).

Fall is here, and it’s in the form of cookies! These cookies are just a bit crispy on the outside but will maintain a soft and gooey center if you don’t over-bake them. I think that’s part of why they are so amazing. Because you are using a cake mix, they will maintain their shape for the most part. I kept mine rustic...they look just like I plopped them on the cookie sheet. Feel free to shape them into discs if you want them to look like a traditional cookie. Also, if you are worried about them flattening out, add the tiniest bit (say, 1/8 teaspoon) of baking powder.



What’s your favorite fall cookie? What mix-ins would you like to have in a pumpkin cookie?

No comments:

Post a Comment